Friday, February 11, 2011

Our True Nations Crisis Pt. 1

It takes two to make a thing go right,
It takes two to make it out of sight
Hit IT!!!

Well Guys, I think that we all knew this topic would make the table at some point. So may as well get it out of the way now.

How can a group of Jews be discussing any topic without getting onto the shidduch crisis. I mean when you think about what we are going through her in New York City, I cant help but laugh at the “Troubles in Egypt”. I mean cmon, who cares about riots and the government there, when we are sitting here in Manhattan wasting away with good friends of the opposite sex never getting married, and living out our lonely lives while we spend all day working to hard to even think. We need to start focusing on this major issue, only then can we worry about the troubles of the world.
I will try to approach this topic from the men and woman’s side of things, as well as the more religious and more modern sides.
To start we will go with the more religious side of things. Not Sure if you all know, but when they say oh man that’s not gonna look good on your shiduch resume,
They are talking about a real resume!!!

This was News to me when I found out. I knew that people go to Shadchanim and tell them information about them in order for them to find a good match, but an actual resume that you can go around and hand out like you are looking for a job seems a little absurd to me. Imagine talking to your friend and the conversation goes like this

“Hi Faigy, how are you its been so long, are you seeing anyone?”

“Things are great Shprintza, living in the heights I have so many close girlfriends but no Im not dating anyone right now.”

“Well I may know some people, what type of guy are you looking for?”

“Hold on one sec….. let me just grab you a resume printed on pink paper sprayed with perfume that describes who I am perfectly and what type of guy I am looking for.”

“Ok great this looks perfect, I will pass this on to all my friends and you be married in no time”
“Thanks Shprintza you are the best”

I think that’s enough said on this topic. Onto the next one. The religious guys.

Now I’ll be honest. I really don’t know how things go down from this side that well, cuz lets be honest im not friends with many men that would fit into this category. From what I know/think, these guys will pretty much go out with any girl. As long as they fit the one quality of having a white tablecloth on Shabbat they are good enough to go on a date with. Then they pull off the classic, hotel lobby and a board game. We’ve all seen these dates taking place, and when they walk down the street making sure to have a car length between them.

If this is how you feel is the correct way to go about finding your bashert, then please continue doing so. I wish you all the best and hopefully soon enough you will not have to worry aboout this issue anymore.
If you think this way doesnt make sense then stay tuned for Pt 2, where I will discuss the more modern shidduch crisis and maybe thats where you fit in.
For a good read and laugh, heres an article about how much money the Star-K has given out for Shadchanim. Absurd. How is that at 22 women are considered old. I feel bad for you girls out there, I really do. Your biological clocks are ticking
http://www.star-k.org/cons-new-bignews-shidduch.htm

If anyone wants a copy of my resume, please let me know and I can send it out.

AC

3 comments:

  1. As someone who has one of these 'shidduch resume's' i can tell you that they aren't very different than the questions that you fill our on any dating website (not that there are standard questions, i copied a friends).
    think of it as a time saver, you send out the 'resume' to a bunch of shadchanim via email, rather than explain over & over again who you are, what you do & what you are looking for, simple as that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Avi you are such a good writer. If I understand correctly your thesis is that shidduch dating is absurd. So insightful Einstein...get a job!

    Food for thought, what's more awkward frum people dating or old people having sex?

    ReplyDelete